Friday, September 23, 2005

Japan, World War II, Outlet Malls, and My Mother-in-law.

So what do all the above have in common?

Well, last week I took the family (Wife, Daughter and Mother-in-law) out to one of the several outlet malls we have around Southern California. So there we where in a clothing shop and my mother-in-law is trying on a jacket. And it occurs to me, when she was Junior High School age did she ever imagine that she would one day be in America trying on and buying clothes? This is significant, at least to me, because a little over 60 years ago my mother-in-law was a young (JHS age) girl in Japan learning how to use a bamboo spear to protect the home islands from the invading America barbarians. And it struck me how much her world paradigm and the world itself has changed since then. And leaves us with the question what will the world be like in 50 or 60 years when my Daughter reaches my mother-in-law's age? Will the free world have exterminated radical Islamfascism? Or will her grandchildren be sharpening their bamboo spears in Junior High home room?

Ursus Demens

No comments: