Monday, July 09, 2007

Reading list

Last week I picked up a book that was recommend to me several years ago on the art of writing: Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. While the book was written for writers (essays , novels, poetry, et cetera) I find that some of her ideas also work with writing/composing music. I hope to share some of these insights in the coming days and months.

The first idea is "practice every day". Ms. Goldberg writes that a writer needs to write everyday. That it does not matter if what you write, just that you need to write to practice writing just like a baseball team practices, so it is with composing music. As musicians the need to practice our instrument everyday is ingrained into us very early in our studies, but as composers I get the impression that we do not write, or shall we say practice composing everyday, yet I think maybe we should be.

Everyday day we should be working on our craft of composition, practicing our craft. Not that I do, but it is the goal that I am going to set for myself.


Ursus Demens

tag:

No comments: