Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Prelude to a Morning Prayer

Work on “Morning Prayer” has been pretty slow for the last six to eight weeks and while I have little to no notes down on paper in that time, I have been devoting my time thinking about the structure and overall form of the piece. As it stood last week the piece is in five sections and each section is about six minutes long. I have not been and I am still not happy with the fourth section/movement. I have been working out in my head how to rework the fourth movement, or if I would need to rewrite it from scratch. While I have yet to figure out what to do with it I have been considering adding one or more movements to the piece. Specifically a new movement before the current fourth movement or one right after it. But I was (am) unsure what “form” the new movement should take, I was leaning towards a more electronic, synthesize ambient idea, but I have serious doubts about how that “style” would fit with the overall piece. I have come to realize that just adding another movement would not solve the inherent weakness of the material in the fourth movement.


While I have not ruled out adding additional movements on either side of the fourth movement (and I think that the overall structure/form calls for another movement after the fourth movement, or at least a substantial transition to the last movement) the only way I am going to “fix” the current fourth movement is to get my “hands dirty” and start tearing through its guts.


In the middle of all this thinking and pondering last Sunday while I was waiting for my wife at the temple (Buddhist) I was struck with an idea for another movement and I began sketching it out there in the “Harmony room” (cafeteria). This new “movement” has turned out to be a short two minute section that fits well with the rest of the piece. While conceived while I was thinking through the idea of adding a movement before or after the fourth movement, this new movement is not it. Instead this new section will serve as an extend intro or prelude to the entire piece. Unlike the following movements that make use of a far number of instruments and players this “intro” only uses the Soprano Sax soloist, the string bass, and some miscellaneous percussion (Rain Stick, Two Gongs, and a Mark tree).




Ursus Demens

No comments: