Monday, October 10, 2005

Miracles Do Happen

And what is the miracle I am talking about? The miracle that I have updated this BLOG on Monday.

First an update of my trials and tribulations with my new system. The Power supply is just fine, just stupid user error. So I got every thing powered up and started configuring the system, but after running for about 20 minutes the monitor went all crazy and I could smell something burning. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So after fooling with it for two days I found a small “blemish” on one of the connectors on the video card. So I went out and got another video card (different brand) and put it in. Every thing started working again. So I have a relatively expensive fried video card. I suspect that the cooling fan on the card itself never actually worked. The new card is working fine, and the fan on it is working. I also picked up two 80mm fans for the case, right now I only have one installed.

But. My new issue is that I only have Serial ATA drives in the system right now, and I can not seem to get the system to boot from them. The boot from the CDROM and OS installation goes fine, but then the system does not seem able to boot from the SATA drive. The BIOS seems to be set correctly. Fought with this all day Sunday. So I picked up an IDE drive today, which I will use as the OS & Boot drive. Hopefully that will be that last of my issues.

Music


Well in the midst of all my system problems, I did manage to write a short piece of music in the last week. (As a break for working on my Concerto for Trombone and Jazz Band.) It is a short “Amen”. The score is available on SibeliusMusic at

AMEN (October 2005 Anno Domini) As I say in the program note this short ( ~ 48 seconds) piece is not for a choir that is afraid of Zeitgeist. Currently there is no MP3 available, but it is on my list to create one.

That is all for now. Stay tune for more updates.

Ursus Demens

No comments: