Thursday, January 26, 2006

Day of Thor

Well here it is Thursday (Day of Thor) already and I have not yet gotten around to ranting about something musical or otherwise.

Earlier this week I was presented with an interesting musical challenge, to create a short, one to three minute, piece of music on the theme “Bittersweet”. In addition to be limited in duration, the choice of instruments was also very limited. So testing my metal I starting composing a piece for Flute, Trumpet, Tuba, Vibraphone, Harp, and solo Violin. Last night I finished the composing, with the piece clocking in just a hair over three minutes at three minutes and eight seconds. One additional requirement was that piece be “realized” using only samples from GPO and JABB Sample Libraries. So now I have begun that which is the most laborious part for me, that of “mixing” my composition in Sonar using Garritain's two sample libraries. When I am done, which I hope will be within the week, I will post both the score and MP3 file on my SibeliusMusic hompage. Then I will leave it to you to decide if my piece captures any of the essence of “Bittersweet”.


Ursus Demens

No comments: