Monday, July 22, 2013

The First Time I Saw Her!

The current piece of music that I am working on is a bit of a Frankenstein Piece of Music. It is not about Mary Shelley’s Monster nor is it about Edgar Winter’s piece of that name; but from the fact that it comprises material from several pieces that that have written over the years.

The title comes from a set of theme and variations for piano that I wrote in the late 1970’s. And the six bar prelude (intro) of the piece is a re-orchestration of one of the variations. Other than the title and those six bars no other material from that piece is used. The bass line is derived from a common Baroque passacaglia pattern. In 3/2 meter the bass is laid over a six bar drum and bass patter in the drums. The main theme is a E minor pentatonic theme that I wrote for string orchestra when I was doing my music blog pieces in the winter of 2004/2005. The second theme is from a stench I had done last year (or the year before) but had never done anything with. The rest of the material comes from various fragments from by note books along with some new material (the 9/8 sections is new). I am still working on the mixing of the piece and I should have at least a rough mix within a week. A score will take a bit more time as another aspect of the Frankenstein nature of the piece is that only some of the music is currently in score format and some of it was directly played into Sonar so I will need to bring those bits back into Sibelius to get a final complete score, that is if I feel motivated to do so.

Stay tune and I will let know when there is something to listen to.

Ursus Demens



No comments: