Thursday, April 12, 2007

Synthesizers:

The problem with deciding to add a synthesizer to a composition (see post below about Morning Prayer) is that a synthesizer unlike a conventional instrument is not a singular entity. I have available to me several synthesizers all with their own unique characteristics and each with many different sounds, and each sound can be altered in many various ways. This leaves me with at least several hundred possible timbres to use, and that is using just pre-programmed patches. When you consider altering the patches or creating new patches from scratch, the possible permutations are a close enough to infinite to give me a migraine headache.

Thus for the last two nights I have gotten no work done on the actual composition of Morning Prayer, but simply have spent my time “auditioning” sounds from some of my synthesizers, and I expect I have several more days of work before I finalize the ones I want to use.

Ursus Demens

No comments: